Thursday, May 24, 2012

Seriously, enough already!

Yep, I've just about had it.  With this cancer thing, and all its lovely 'side effects'.  Now don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to sound like a whiny bitch here, but I'm gonna go ahead and wine whine.  I think I deserve it. 
Whining and the wine that is.

While in Florida, I did fabulous-got a brace for my gimpy knee, put on my biofreeze daily and took my Naproxen and I made it. 

I took my meds and ate small meals to avoid the nausea.

I wore a hat and big celebrity sunglasses and slathered myself with sunscreen 2-3 times daily since I know the chemo makes me more sun sensitive-more than I already am.

I guess the one damn thing I did not account for was the Florida bugs.  Apparently they have lots of little buggy bugs, and one bit me. 

 I remember when.  It was right after we got off the Popeye River Barge ride and we were all soaking wet.  I remember absentmindedly scratching at a spot on my neck and coming away with a little black bug.  Not surprising, I was wet and sticky and I'm sure smelled just bugginly delicious to him.  No big deal right?  Wrong.  By Monday last week I had a rash where that bug had bit me, and a bunch of red raised blister looking things.   
Ok, triple biotic cream, anti-itch cream, benadryl and I thought I was good to go because it *kinda* started to look better.  I have never had a bug bite do that to me, seriously?

Of course I wasn't good to go, who the schmuck was I kidding????
This Monday night I was reading and remember scratching my left cheek-clarification-face not butt.
Within 15 minutes Hailey looks at me with horror on her face as if I had just sprouted a second head. Upon looking in the mirror I see those same familiar blistery looking spots on my cheek where I had been scratching-and now it's a hot mess red color. 

LOVELY.

So I wash my face, apply a warm soak with epsom salt, then a cool pack, then top it off with some anti-itch cream. 
Woke up Tuesday morning and it actually looked better.  Well shucks-did something just really work in my favor?  HA HA HA said the Gods.

Wake up today and though it looks 'ok', as the day went on it turns into a red, raised, hot to the touch, oozing, size of a fifty cent piece mess.  Even more lovely. 

Call the cancer center and they damn near freak out.  Since my immune system is so jacked up right now, they are pretty sure my bug bite has turned into a cellulitis.  Off to the pharmacy for some steroids and antibiotic.  Though it does look and feel a little bit better tonight-after a cocktail of pink lemonade Crystal Light, 6 Methylprednisolone tablets and two Doxycylcine-I'm hoping to wake up and it be gone.  HA HA HA-in my dreams.  Because if it isn't better in the morning I get to go to the cancer center for them to see it, and possibly admit me for some stronger antibiotics-intravenously.  Just what my Thursday agenda called for. 

All my oozing, freak, horror show face issues aside.  I have to mention that the Rifle Raffle winner was pulled by me last Monday at the KCPD Care Team Golf Tournament, and the winner was .....
Chad Pickens.  Chad is a very nice guy, and after posing for a picture with me and his new gun, he handed it back to me and said he wanted it to be auctioned off for more money to help us out!  I hugged the poor guy and probably scared him with my death grip.  One of the nicest things anyone has done for us.  The silver lining of this cancer cloud that hangs over my head?  Ok, I should say the silver lining of the black cloud that seems to loom over the Rawley family-is the kindness and generosity of people.  We are blessed to have such amazing people in our lives, I can't say that enough.  And the biggest thanks ever to Troy Phillips for setting up the whole raffle, selling tix, recruiting people to help him-Onik, Garth, Hooley-I know I'm missing more people-but those three I know really stepped up to help-a huge thanks to them also.  And to SnapShot guns for doing the deal with Troy to get the gun in the first place.  Need a gun?  Check out Snap Shot in NKC!!!   Thank you Troy and Andrea-we love you guys lots!  The Raffle brought in over $8000 so far, and the auction will take place on Friday June 1st.  If you are interested in the auction please read below and email Troy:

Due to the great generosity of Chad Pickens, the winner of the “RIFLE RAFFLE 4 RAWLEY”, we will be offering the rifle up for auction. All proceeds from the auction will be donated to the Rawley family in addition to what was previously raised from the raffle. The auction will be held by email on Friday June 1, 2012. Bidding will begin at 0800 hrswith a starting bid of $350.00. Those that submit bids, a return email of the highest bid will be emailed back every 2 hours with the last update at 1900 hrs. Only those who have submitted bids will be sent an update. The highest bid at 2000 hrs will be the winner of the rifle! The rifle is a new Stag Arms AR 15, Model 2. It also includes the case and one 30 round magazine. Non department members are welcome to bid as well! Bids and or questions should be sent to:

FPhillips@KC.RR.COM
 
And don't forget the motorcyle ride is Saturday June 2nd.  There is still time to register at
A bunch of us are meeting at First Watch in North Kansas City at 8am before the ride-everyone's welcome to join us! 


Summer is almost upon us-geesh where did the time go???  School is almost out for all three kids-Ethan's last day was Monday, and he has already let us know how boring we are at home.  He got to spend some time with Grandpa Tuesday, but I think he was just a crabass-hoping that changes pretty quick, cause summer school doesn't start until the 18th.  It will be a long three weeks for him if we have to lock his skinny butt in his room that whole time....Just kidding....mostly.
Hailey and Parker are done on Friday, then Parker leaves next week for his Canada fishing trip with the Williams.  Hailey will be working hard at volleyball camp, and practicing her mad driving skills
My chemo break is almost over, and the new stuff starts up next Tuesday. 
 Hoping this crap is off my face by then.....

yeah right.

Just a pic of my things....

2 comments:

  1. Yuck, yuck, YUCK!!! You deserve to both whine and WINE! Hoping things are treated quickly and as least invasively as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Hope it goes away quickly!

    ReplyDelete