Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Birthday-to Me!

Yes, today I turned 41 years old.  And it was a lovely, low key, stay in my jammies, watch movies and hang out with the family kind of day. 
I want to thank all of you who left emails and fb messages and texts for me today-there were over 200, and it really makes me smile reading all of them!  I am truly blessed!

I had treatment #3 on Friday, after much debate about why my white blood cells look 'funny'.  The lab didn't want me to get my treatment because they looked 'funny' under the microscope.   My  NP told them since I am getting the Neulasta shot she would expect them to look funny, and if they couldn't give her a reason other than that NOT to do my treatment, then I was getting it.  That took 3 hours of debating....in the meantime, funny or not-my WBC's were 17.8 and my neutrophils were 7.6 all in good range!

Woke up a little nauseated about 6am this morning, took my meds, Brian made me some toast, and back to bed I went til about 10am.  I've been feeling great since then, taking my meds on schedule really helps.  I'm working about 5 hours tomorrow, then get my shot in the afternoon.  Then I'm sure I will be home to sleep for two days. 

The bald kid has an appointment at Pulmonology clinic on Wednesday, we may finally get a release from there since he's been off his oxygen for so long.  I think they still need to manage his Robinul for his secretions, so that may keep us going back for appointments for a while still.

Saturday we drove up to Lawrence to watch Hailey's step-sister Mariah play softball-KU against Iowa St.  It was a beautiful day for their Pink in the Park!  Too bad they lost-but it was still a fun outing. We got there early, tailgated with Hailey's Dad and her other 'Mom's' side of the family.  My die hard K-State sis and bro-in-law cheered for the Hawks, and my die hard MU husband even bought a KU shirt he sported just for Mariah!!  After the game Mariah gave me her LIVE PINK  KU warm up tee-I love it sweets-thanks so much!!
 I, of course, had my scarf on and two lovely women came up and introduced themselves to me, sharing their breast cancer survivor stories and ensuring me that there is indeed an end in sight and that I am a survivor too!  It's not a club I ever wanted to be a part of, but damn it's got some awesome ladies in it!  Kind of like my Special Needs Moms Club-nothin I can't handle with the support from some amazing folks!

Heading to bed, gotta get up early.  Though I do have to say, not having to 'fix' my hair sure gets me places on time!


Yes, she's that much taller than me!

Mariah Montgomery #23-Home Run leader for KU!!  Hailey, her other Mom Kim and her little sis Gracie

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday beautiful Kari! I so loved that you had a good day, and I hope they continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kari - i so enjoy reading your blog and sharing your journey! im glad your birthday was calm and beautiful!
    praying for continued daily strength in this daily battle!!

    ReplyDelete