Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spurs & S'mores for our Seven year old!

Ethan Charles age 7 on 3/30/2004 
our very special lil' cowpoke!

Ethan is so done with his party!



love the look Ethan is giving Parker?!?!?



We celebrated Ethan's 7th Birthday in true cowboy style last weekend complete with cowboy hats, bandanas, sherriff's badges and s'mores.  Brian nixed the ponies-so we had to make due with a bandana on the dog!

I want to thank everyone who came and celebrated with us.  It means so much to Brian and I-mostly me-to plan and execute a party for our little guy.  I will admit, I tend to go overboard a little with him-we just feel so lucky each birthday we get to cherish the year we just spent with him, and plan for the next.  We learned a long time ago to never take our time with him for granted, and make the moments count.  So, really, these parties are more for me, as he could care less what everyone is doing at the house-though he does really enjoy the undivided attention he gets!

 Everyone always asks what to get him, and we struggle more and more each year with what to tell people.  So much so that Brian and I were arguing in ToysRUs ourselves -I wanted to get him a play gym with bright colors and toys above him to entice him to grasp at something.  Brian wanted to get him a "toy made for a 7yr old-not a baby" as he wanders down the Power Wheels aisle....sure Brian-let's get him a battery operated jeep, or monster truck-or even a Harley.  We could duct tape him in it and put his foot on the gas and let him go hog wild around the neighborhood.....I would put a helmet on him too-just for safety's sake....really??  WTF are you thinking?  I KNOW he is chronologically 7 years old, but he's not REALLY 7 years old.  Guess who won???  I'll just say Ethan is now the proud owner of a Baby Einstein Ocean Wonders Play Gym-which he enjoys quite well I must say!   Don't get me wrong, these are the exact times that I am sad for Ethan's challenges-buying 'age appropriate' birthday gifts, watching nieces and nephews and kid's friends get ready for baseball season,  having him be the first of 5 kids in our family to turn 7 this year-but will always be the 'baby'.  My nephew Kellen was having a hard time with that himself as he was looking at Ethan's cake with a '7' on it.  He couldn't believe Ethan was older than him and was very confused-Kellen's 7th birthday is in July. 
Anyway, I always get a little melancholy when his birthday rolls around, though I love our Holland-I know I will always wonder what Italy would have been like.....my special needs Moms will get my reference ;)
So Thank You to my family and friends who indulge me every year with crazy themes and birthday cake fiascos, and thank you for loving our litte guy!

I gotta throw out some Happy Birthdays to the other four 7 year olds this year:
My nephew Adam-April 5th
My niece Abby-April 15th
My niece Hana-June 29th
My nephew Kellen-July 17th

Can't wait to celebrate with you all too!

1 comment:

  1. Totally got the reference, and totally relate too. And man, that's a lot of kiddos born in your family in one year! Sounds a lot like us, and I too have to admit how much it can suck at times to see what those kids are and supposed to be.

    Happy birthday Ethan!! Love, Alisha and Emarie

    ReplyDelete